[CT Birds] Sunrise Birding Walk - Allen's Meadows

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Oct 8 12:56:29 EDT 2011

Hi All,

A fun morning on the old stomping grounds today. The usual cast of decent sparrows including a Vesper or two, a few White-crowned and a couple of Lincoln's. Apart from that a few American Pipit and a Brown Thrasher were the main highlights.

In keeping with Allen's propensity to throw an interesting bird into the mix Joe Bear managed to dig out a male Hooded Warbler which gave us very brief but definitive views. It seems like there have been a few reported later and more northerly than one might have expected this year. I wonder if it had anything to do with the tropical storms that seemed to coincide with their usual migration dates? Only my second Hooded at Allen's and although there wasn't the hoped for big rarity today there was at least a lot of action and a nice collection of birds.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich
www.underclearskies.com
www.sunrisebirding.com