[CT Birds] Simsbury and environs

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 8 17:13:38 EDT 2011

A couple of posts about siskins reminded me that I forgot to mention that I had a high flying siskins at Meadow Road in Canton the other day.  Also this morning near the barn at Roaring Brook Nature Center in Canton.  I have seen three Merlins in town in the past several days.  I have been running into Lincoln's Sparrows in decent numbers this season as well.

Tried for Sam's Clay-colored at Simsbury Farms around noon or so without success.  I admit I snuck onto the course but doing so was my way of paying tribute to Len Kendall.  He would have approved.  The part of the course where the bird was is adajcent to the Simsbury Community Gardens area off Old Farms Road, which is public accessible and was rather birdy.  In that area was a bright Tennessee Warbler that only posed for me because my camera was in the car and a Lincoln's Sparrow.  Also one of two Yellow Warblers that were in the area.  I haven't seen one in months.  Two at this place were unexpected at this date.  I did see five species of sparrows on the golf course itself, which is lined everywhere with deep, fruit filled tangles.

also had my first fall White-crowned Sparrow, a lovely adult along Lower Greenwoods Road in Barkhamsted, along with numerous Palm Warblers.  This place is unsigned and does not appear on any maps I know but I suspect that anyone who cares already knows where it is.

Roy, for your report --

>From Jamie Meyers:
10/8 -- Simsbury, Simsbury Community Gardens off Old Farms Road -- TENNESSEE WARBLER
Barkhamsted, Lower Greenwoods Road - WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT