Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Sun Oct 9 13:41:31 EDT 2011

The CTYBC (Connecticut Young Birder's Club) had our first October trip at the Smith-Richardson Tree Farm, Southport Beach and Pine Creek. We had an awesome morning, notching both of our targets at the tree farm and adding in a totally unexpected highlight as well. We also did quite well at Southport Beach and Pine Creek considering the conditions last night. Highlights below:

>From Alex Burdo, Sean Murtha, Brendan Murtha, Zach Smart and one other:
10/09/11 - Westport, Smith-Richardson Xmas Tree Farm -- 1 BLUE GROSBEAK, 1 DICKCISSEL, and 1 GRASSHOPPER SPARROW. All these birds were seen early along the center path, the Dickcissel and BLGR perched in pines, both for extended periods and the Grasshopper Sparrow feeding in the ruts with Savannah Sparrows. Also present were 2 Field Sparrows, 1 Cooper's Hawk, 4 Palm Warblers (one Eastern) and 1 unided Empid sp.
Fairfield, Southport Beach -- 11 NELSON'S SPARROWS moving about in the grass on the beach side by the jetty. A few birds were seen very well in the open. Best at high tide.
Fairfield, Pine Creek -- 2 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1 American Kestrel, 1 Merlin, 1 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, 1 Blue-headed Vireo, 1 Hermit Thrush, 1 GRAY-CHEEKED/BICKNELL'S-type THRUSH, 9 Gray Catbird, 1 Black-and-white Warbler, 1 TENNESSEE WARBLER, 6 Common Yellowthroat, 2 Blackpoll Warbler and 1 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW (young bird-seen in the large group of sparrows below the landfill)

All of the Pine Creek highlights were either seen below the landfill as the path descends toward the pond or on the trail that goes left after the bridge.

Photos will be posted at the CTYBC website here: http://connecticutybc.wordpress.com/
There will be a lot more great info on this site, so check back soon!

Alex Burdo