[CT Birds] Milford Point Big Sit!

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Sun Oct 9 21:20:55 EDT 2011

Hi all,
Well, we sat as hard as we could and came up with 89 species for the day, about average or a bit below, and not too shabby given the weather. Highlights included, a migrant Saw-whet that was only heard outside the circle, 3-4 American Bitterns (we started and ended the day with the same one), 3 Bald Eagles, our first-ever Broad-winged Hawk, Yellow Warbler, and Black and white Warbler, which brings our 17-year cumulative total to 170 species, a white-crowned sparrow, Nelson's and Saltmarsh Sparrows, and a cooperative Pectoral Sandpiper. Ducks were almost nonexistent on the Sound; we saw only 4 scoters, but we did mange to find 2 Wood Ducks, 2 female N. Pintails, 70+ Green-winged Teal, a few Wigeon, and one Red-breasted Merganser that only stayed for 30 seconds. A Great Cormorant was nice as were nearly 40 Forster's Terns, our highest count ever. It was a fine warm sunny day for a sit and fun was had by all. Thanks to my Teammates Patrick and Jim Dugan, Tina Green, and Frank Mantlik; well sat. Thanks too to Wendy Knothe and Vanessa Mickan for keeping us fed, and Peter Green for his gallant paddle through the marsh. Thanks Denise and Sarah for stopping by... it was nice to see you two...  I'm off to catch some sleep.. Hey, I'm going to be on Channel 8's CT Style tomorrow.. should anyone like to tune in...   Good night Gracie..

Life is short. Bird often.