[CT Birds] OT for the Naturalists on this List

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Tue Oct 11 20:35:32 EDT 2011

 From Steve Broker (Cheshire):
 From my perspective, this has been a huge mast year for Shagbark
Hickories.  The hickory trees in my yard have been absolutely
prolific in their production of fruits.  I'm sweeping the driveway on
a regular basis, and the following day it's carpeted again with
hickory nuts.  There is a periodic crunching sound that comes from
the street as my neighbors drive by.  I shake my head in wonderment,
but they're probably thinking other thoughts.  This has been going on
for several weeks.  I've not checked the other hickory species on our
southern Connecticut ridge tops but will do so in the next days.
Now, the maples are kicking in with an abundance of samaras, also
suggesting a mast year for them.  My driveway-bordering maple is a
Norway Maple, but a check of lowland and ridge top red maples, flood
plain silver maples, and slope sugar maples also would be
worthwhile.  On Cape Cod the chipmunks are thriving, perhaps a
consequence of a mast year for oaks - two years ago, as I recall.
Come morning, I'll be back outside with the broom . . .