[CT Birds] Stentorian Screech Owl - Bethany

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 11 21:18:19 EDT 2011

I've had a lot of calling Screech Owls around my home in Bethany; some of them have been literally feet from my house.  I have even seen the silhouettes, as they whinny-away in the cedars at dusk.
But this morning, well after (ie, 20 minutes after) sunrise, I had a Screech Owl start up in the woods near a large open area.  It could have been the topography, the acoustics.  But the sheer volume of its "voice" was amazing.
Contributors of CTBirds have mentioned daytime Barred Owls calling.  I've had Barred Owls calling in the daytime, especially in the spring.  But I can't remember the last time I heard Screech Owls starting up with the roosters.
(PS - The pedant in me is extremely proud of the fact that I spelled "silhouette" correctly, without spell-check.)
Steve Mayo