[CT Birds] LPP Hawk Watch

Lynn James marshhawk at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 12 22:11:58 EDT 2011

Date: Oct. 12 2011
To: <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
Subject: hawk count, including adult dark-morph Swainson's Hawk
From: Lynn James with Robin McAllister, Dana Campbell and Saul Satin
We had a total of 85 Raptors today.
TV 3  OS 9  BE 1  NH 3  SS 15  CH 32  BW 1  SWAINSON'S HAWK 1  RT 2  AK 4  ML 3
PG 2
UA 8  UB 1
The Swainson's was a dark-morph.  It was first observed about noon by Dana in
her scope.It was flying head on at a distance. She remarked that it had a strong
dihedral and displayed a Harrier like flight. It came much closer as it flew
overhead  we recognized it to be a Buteo with two-toned underwings. The
underwing coverts were slightly darker than the flight feathers and the body was
dark. It had short black tips on long pointed fingers. We didn't see any
contrasting terminal band. We ruled out a dark-morph Rough-legged because of the
lack of a high contrast. While there was a two-toned quality there was not a
sharp contrast between the underwing coverts and  flight feathers. There were no
dark carpal patches, also the wing tips appeared to be more pointed.
It flew off in a westerly direction.