[CT Birds] ...to clarify...

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Oct 15 14:22:16 EDT 2011

Dowitchers are best distinguished by voice in the fall.  Absent that, we do
the best we can with plumage characteristics.  The field marks I reported on
my post from earlier today support the ID of Long-billed Dowitchers.  But, a
humped back look is typical of Long-billed Dowitchers, at least in my
experience, and was not evident on the birds that I saw today, making the ID
less certain.  This time of year, either dowitcher species is possible.  As
we head further into autumn, sightings of Short-billed Dowitchers become
less probable, while the chances of finding a Long-billed Dowitcher
increase.

Chris Loscalzo