[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Park - Blackpoll Warbler, YB Cuckoo

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 16 17:24:41 EDT 2011

It's been a boring, blustery (strong SW winds), beautiful weekend at Lighthouse Point Park.
 Yesterday, 25 diurnal raptors were tallied.  Today, it was 21.

At dawn this morning, the gulls and sun-pink clouds screamed by, like a massive  cyclorama.  There were absolutely no migrants from the watch site.  For those of you who are not familiar with LPP, this is quite rare.

I had a "Baypoll" in the woods near the Butterfly Garden; Turk Duddy turned up a Blackpoll in that same area, later.  At the Hawkwatch tables, we had a cuckoo zip behind us, 2 feet off the deck, into the Oaks.  Later in the afternoon, I had a YB Cuckoo from the Dike Trail, on the East edge of the Park.  A Pine warbler, a few Palm Warblers, YR Warblers, Swamp Sparrows, Kinglets, a handful of Tree Swallows and Blue Jays; that was it today.

Steve Mayo
Bethany