[CT Birds] Sabines NO.... Fulmar, Corys, Manx, Jaegers, Razorbills YES.

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 23:39:22 EDT 2011

HAS Cape Cod seabirding field trip Oct 15th:
The Hartford Audubon Society field trip to Cape Cod had a pretty good windy
day for seabirds on October 15th, including several hour-long seawatches
from Herring Cove, Race Point, Highland Light, First Encounter Beach, and
Nauset Beach. Highlights included 2 Northern Fulmars (at Highland Light), 5
Cory's Shearwaters (at Highland Light), 23 Manx Shearwaters, a large number
of Greater Shearwaters (most around a boat passing Highland Light), almost
50 jaegers (most identifiable as Parasitic and most at Race Point), 2
Razorbills, and several thousand Northern Gannets in a 6:30am feeding blitz
off Herring Cove Beach. It appears that many of the terns which were around
Provincetown and Nauset Beach one week earlier had left. We looked intensely
for any Sabine's Gull(s), but to no avail, especially since our planned
Sunday boat trip was cancelled by the wind and waves. Details on this trip
will be provided next week.
Tom Robben and Keith Mueller