[CT Birds] [BIRDCHAT] Price point

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Oct 17 14:19:07 EDT 2011

One point that I don't think has been mentioned is that a run-of-the-mill birder (like me) benefits from the best view even more than the experts.  When a birding friend finally replaced his very old B&L Elites not long ago with something in the $500 range, he said (more or less), "I can probably make up for the difference between these and the real high end with my experience!"  And he does.  I, on the other hand, need every last bit of help I can get!

After starting with $85 7x35 Nikons that were already around, my first real birding binoculars were the old Swift Audubon 8.5x44, which I still love.  But when I had to attempt a bird survey in the rain they fogged up totally, which led me to getting the Swarovski ELs I still use.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT