[CT Birds] Red-Tail with dead gull

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Tue Oct 18 15:44:27 EDT 2011

Over the years, I have seen Redtails take just about everything from
fur to feathers....but the most interesting and most tragic being a
drake Common Merganser prey. This happened on old Route 9 (now 154) in
Higganum along the CT River. The hawk had successfully grabbed the
merganser from the River (just north of Haddam Meadows S P) and was
struggling to make altitude flying up the steep bank of the River.
When it reached the road, it wasn't high enough and a truck hit the
hawk and merganser, which was still tightly grasped in its talons. A
real tragic loss for two magificent birds.

Keith Mueller