[CT Birds] Southport Survey # 277

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Oct 20 12:49:23 EDT 2011

Southport Survey # 277

The tide was high, Sunken Island was covered. The water had white
caps. The sky was cloudy with a wind out of the west.

Off shore had the occasional group of Brant on the fly by. Also,
there was group of  50 cormorants heading west out of town.

The golf course continues to surprise. In the main pond were 3 Horned
Grebe. These are the earliest I ever had them on the survey, and
considering the odd location, I gave them a thorough going over but
no changes. On the lawn was a big group of gulls getting out of the
wind, along with the Killdeer. Also around were a Turkey Vulture, a
Cooper’s Hawk, and a Red-tailed Hawk.

At Southport Beach all the birds were at the mouth of the creek.
including the egrets, Laughing Gulls, and the few ducks. The geese
were north of the road also trying to keep low. The Great Cormorant
continues on the leaning tower. This time there was a lot of tail
action for it trying to keep its balance in the wind. There was also
an increase in Ring-billed Gulls which included the missing immature
birds.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	10/02	10/05	10/17	10/20