[CT Birds] West Haven (pelican no) and East Shore Park

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 13:12:45 EDT 2011

Jay Kaplan and I spent several hours this morning combing the New Haven harbor area and points west down through Oyster River in search of the pelican.  Unfortunately we came up short.  I guess today is not the day for either of us to be buying lottery tickets.

we did stop at East Shore Park in New Haven for a vantage point at the harbor from that direction and hit a very nice flock of songbirds that included 9 warbler species and more kinglets (especially Ruby-crowned) than I have ever seen in one place.  Conservatively I'd guess there were at least 50 of them in and about the thickets along the north edge of the park.  The earblers included a Tennessee, a bright Nashville, a couple of parulas including one really brightly marked individual, BT Green, C. Yellowthroat, Pine, multiple Blackpolls (maybe half a dozen, again conservatively), Yellow-rumped and Palm.

A number of American Pipits were present at Sandy Point (West Haven bird for me), as well as hundreds of Brant.  One or two Hermit Thrushes were in the thickets near the parking lot.  Thrushes are not the easiest birds to find in West Haven.   A couple Horned Grebes were in NH harbor, as seen from the West Haven boat ramp.  A few Greater Yellowlegs were around as well. There was a Common Loon off East Shore park.  Otherwise, not much in the way of shorebirds and waterfowl/water birds.

For Roy's report --

>From Jamie Meyers and Jay Kaplan:
10/22 - New Haven, East Shore park -- 9 species of warblers including NASHVILLE, BLACKPOLL and TENNESSEE.
West Haven, Sandy Point -- AMERICAN PIPITS