[CT Birds] Boothe Park 10/22

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Sat Oct 22 20:42:08 EDT 2011

Boothe Memorial Park
Stratford, Connecticut, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 22, 2011
Turkey Vulture  22
Osprey  3
Northern Harrier  3
Sharp-shinned Hawk  109
Cooper's Hawk  26
Red-shouldered Hawk  10
Red-tailed Hawk  39
American Kestrel  4
Merlin  2
Peregrine Falcon  1
Unknown Raptor  1

Total: 220

Observation start time: 08:15:00
Observation end   time: 13:45:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter:        Scott Kruitbosch

Observers:        Charlie Barnard, Lynn Jones

After an all the more common S/SW flow period of late we had surface high
pressure providing some N/NW flow under sunny skies. Daytime heating
provided a few clouds by 11AM, bringing the temperature from 47 to 65. The
story of the day was a mid level shortwave that dropped a lot of clouds on
the area. This shortwave did not provide any precip and was helpful
initially, but I believe it shut down the raptors as it made for some more
unstable skies and flopped the winds to the south a bit.

Raptor Observations:
Around 13:10-13:20 the raptors dropped, and from 13:20 to 13:45 there were
none. The shortwave noted above likely did just enough to prevent movement.

Non-raptor Observations:
Southbound migrants included:
Canada Goose  98
Great Cormorant  1