[CT Birds] birds...what else?

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sun Oct 23 11:23:53 EDT 2011

10/23/11: In Woodbridge, at the power line cut between the JCC, off Amity
Road, and Pease Road: many  sparrows, including 30 Chipping Sparrows, 20
Song Sparrows, 20 White-throated Sparrows, 12 Swamp Sparrows, 5 Field
Sparrows and 1 White-crowned Sparrow.  Also, 7 Dark-eyed Junco, 1 Nashville
Warbler, 5 Palm Warbler, 20+ Yellow-rumped Warbler, 6 Ruby-crowned Kinglet,
1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 2 Northern Flicker, 2 Eastern Phoebe, 1 Merlin,
1 Eastern Bluebird, and 1 Eastern Towhee.  [Yesterday, I heard a male Towhee
vocalize in a way I had never heard before: it warbled and chatted for
several seconds at a time and repeated the phrases several times.
Occasionally, it would intersperse it's typical "wheat" call in between the
warbling chatter.  It was quite a surprise and quite entertaining!] Also
today, at Konold's Pond: 20 Ring-necked Ducks, 30 American Coots, 3
Pied-billed Grebe, 4 American Wigeon, and 2 Wood Ducks.

Chris Loscalzo

Woodbridge