[CT Birds] Hartford area Brant along the river

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 23 13:13:25 EDT 2011

This morning Jay Kaplan and I birded the South Windsor meadows area. About the only sighting of significance was a flock of 28 Brant heading south along the river. They did not appear to stop. Neither Jay nor I have ever seen such a flock in Hartford County before, though it's likely that they occur in the CT River valley more than in the "hills", where we live. This afternoon, around 12:15 while with my father running an errand, I saw a second Brant flock moving down the river, this time just north of the Dexter-Coffin bridge in Windsor Locks. This flock was also moving south and was of similar size. So 55 - 60 Brant in Hartford County for me. Easily at least 10 times more than I've seen here in my life. I know there was a similar flock seen moving through in the spring.

Perhaps they were heading to Sandy Point, which was utterly chock full of them yesterday,

BTW, as far as I know the WF Ibis in Portland has not been seen since about 12:30 yesterday.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT