[CT Birds] Southbury & vicinity

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 18:28:46 EDT 2011

I spent a few hours this afternoon kicking around the Southbury area.
I made my second ever visit to Cassidy Road, which looks quite
promising for a western vagrant. It's an open farm-type area with
several weedy fields. Plenty of power lines and fence posts for a
Tyrannus flycatcher or Say's Phoebe, for example. My first visit was
in early June a few years ago while following up on a Mississippi Kite
report, and I recall nice breeding grassland birds being in the area
(Kestrel, Meadowlarks, many Bobolinks), plus a colony of Cliff
Swallows. I was surprised to see it in eBird listed as a "hotspot"
since I don't recall seeing many (any?) reports from here, though I've
probably just overlooked them.

Here are some highlights:

Naugatuck, Naugatuck State Forest:
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1