[CT Birds] Sherwood Island SP Highlights

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 24 12:31:20 EDT 2011

10/24/11 - Westport - Sherwood Island SP - Wood Duck in the marsh,Ruddy Duck in the Mill Pond  near the entrance,Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawks,American Kestrel,Peregrine Falcon,Spotted Sandpiper,Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,Blue-headed Vireo,Red-eyed Vireo,2 Tree Swallows,Golden and Ruby-crowned Kinglets,5 Hermit Thrush near boating office parking,2 Nashville Warblers behind the Nature Center,Yellow-rumped Warblers almost everywhere in the park,3 Palm Warblers, 3 Common Yellowthroat Warblers,3 male Eastern Towhee,2 Nelson's Sparrow,1 Indigo Bunting and 2 Dickcissel on the east end feeding in the foxtail grass

Smith Richardson Tree Farm - Winter Wren

Compo Beach - 124 Ruddy Turnstone,1 Sanderling  Compo Beach is open to non-residents now.

Swamp,Song,Savannah,and White-throated Sparrows were everywhere at Sherwood,but,especially from the "wooden bridge" area and east.The two Nashville Warblers were out in the open feeding and I was able to study them for about ten minutes. Oddly,even though conditions were perfect for spotting waterfowl,I spotted no loons,grebes,or ducks on the sound this morning.

Tina Green
Westport