[CT Birds] Last Weekend and an idea.

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Tue Oct 25 11:20:12 EDT 2011

After doing a quickie review of the weekend, I decided to go back and
do a more thorough list. 130 Species were reported. I am sure there
were more that were not reported. A while ago I sorted my records so
that I could calculate percentage of times I have seen them in a
particular time period. That is how I present the list. At the top
are the common birds and the bottom are the rare birds. I also
include the species that were missed in case someone wants to report
them.

This brings me to an Idea I had a while back. I gave it to the major
organizers, they said it was a good idea but were too busy to
implement it. Perhaps someone out there would like to pick it up.

The idea was to have a birding day, where as many birders go out on
the same weekend to see as many birds as possible. All the bird clubs
would have field trips, there would be several roving teams, and a
gathering of yard and feeder reports. There would not be the limits
of a sit, or a Christmas Count. No Time limits of a Big Day. Just a
lot of birders going out at the same time to have a good time. It
would improve the probability of meeting other birders. I could
Imagine several lunch time gathering places where people could get
together. And, maybe a couple of evening dinners as well. It could
take place 2 times a year, once in spring, once in autumn.

Dennis Varza
Fairfied

Birds Reported During the weekend of 22-23 October

Species recorded at least 50%
Canada Goose
Mute Swan
American Black Duck