[CT Birds] Boothe Park 10/25

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Tue Oct 25 18:51:13 EDT 2011

Thanks to all the visitors who stopped by during a lengthy, sometimes frustrating, and productive day at...

Boothe Memorial Park
Stratford, Connecticut, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 25, 2011
Black Vulture  3
Turkey Vulture  76
Osprey  2
Bald Eagle  2
Northern Harrier  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  87
Cooper's Hawk  18
Red-shouldered Hawk  3
Red-tailed Hawk  74
American Kestrel  6
Merlin  3
Unknown Raptor  1

Total:  276

Observation start time: 07:30:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter:        Scott Kruitbosch

Observers:        Charlie Barnard, Twan Leenders

After a minor cold front passing through late last night a high built in to
provide NW flow under nearly 100% clear skies the entire day. Movement was
strong but difficult to detect at the best of times. At 7:30 it was 45
degrees and completely calm. Around 10 the wind picked up to a steady
8-12MPH all day, and this brought the raptors as temperatures peaked at 63.
Humidity lessened and the only clouds we had were in the late morning
because of daytime heating.

Raptor Observations:
Charlie spotted the 3 migrant BLVU going through together that we carefully
watched drift to the WSW. Most of the activity was to the SE because of the
strong winds.

Non-raptor Observations:
Southbound migrants included:
Canada Goose  78
Common Loon  1
Double-crested Cormorant  36
Herring Gull (American)  5
Tree Swallow  13
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
American Robin  4
European Starling  11
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  17
Red-winged Blackbird  7

Migrants in the park included:
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  4
Savannah Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  5
White-throated Sparrow  3
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  6

Notable birds included:
COMMON RAVEN  2 - the same pair we keep seeing over the Housatonic

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr St.