[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Northern Goshawks +

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Tue Oct 25 18:52:43 EDT 2011

Hi All,

Difficult viewing today with high birds and no clouds. Still we had some decent sightings totaling about 200 raptors) including 2 Northern Goshawks, a couple of Purple Finches (which seem scarce this year), an American Pipit and our first Snow Goose of the season (leading a flock of about 50 Canada Geese).

A slightly off-topic highlight of the day though was a rather stunning Star-nosed mole that posed for photographs in the hawkwatch parking lot before having to be rescued from a storm drain! Pictures and the story briefly on my blog here: http://underclearskies.com/2011/10/25/cool-creatures-and-daring-rescue-missions/

Luke Tiller, Greenwich