[CT Birds] Mansfield Hollow late this afternoon

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 25 19:16:34 EDT 2011

>From Jamie Meyers:
10/25 -- Mansfield Hollow Dam area, Windham/Mansfield -- 1 AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, 6-8 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, at least 3 DUNLINS, approximately 10 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS with several other more common shorebird species.  Numbers are conservative best guesses because the birds were very active and the wind made distant IDs challenging at best.

I was surprised that the shorebirding would be this good at this location in a wet season but they've apparently drawn it down some because there are large expanses of mud there.  The town (and thus county) line demarcations, which are important to me, are tricky there but the birds were feeding actively and were moving around a lot, thanks in no small part to a cruising harrier.  I only saw two identifiable peeps, one a Least and the other a bright Semi that I wanted to turn into a Sanderling but no dice there.  Chances are good that I overlooked one or two things due to the wind and the birds moving around a lot.  Mansfield Hollow Lake had an Osprey hanging around on the shore but was otherwise quiet.  I had a Black Vulture over US 6 in Mansfield on the way there.  Rarely can I get a dozen town birds in an hour's time anymore so it was a worthwhile venture.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT