[CT Birds] WF Ibis - last report

Rick Gedney rrged at comcast.net
Wed Oct 26 08:26:13 EDT 2011

>From Rick Gedney:

SAT 10/22/11  - Portland Fair Grounds, Portland, CT

White-Faced Ibis
GB Heron

Since I haven't seen any reports of the WF Ibis since Sat AM. I think I may have been last to see bird and thought I should list in for reporting purposes.  I had the WF Ibis SAT 10/22 from 12:40 to 2:00 PM.  The bird was about 20 yards from entry road on left side right as you pull in near the blue "Prout Memorial Park" sign.  Bird was resting still when I arrived then got active was feeding voraciously in  sewing machine fashion.  The area it was in was a flooded field and I could not identify food source but suspect is was insects and larvae.  I had the bird in the scope at 60X and the iris was as red a cherry and filled the scope. I was able to give a number of folks (mostly local) some good looks.

Concur with comments about last weekend was a good birding weekend.  4 quick trips around work schedule produced a decent list inlcuding:

SAT AM -  Went out with the Audubon Shop group at Hammo SAT AM and some highlights were Imm. Tri-color Heron (or Tri x LB hybrid?) , Merlin, good push of Tree Swallows, Forsters Terns, and a far out Royal Tern.

SAT AM - Tuxis Pond, Madison - FOS  Brown Creeper

SUN PM - Sunday at Silver Sands SP - did not see previously reported Wilson's Warbler. It was late in afternoon but still had good sparrows (6 including Lincoln's) , Little Blue Heron.

abundant Yellow-rumped Warblers at all shore locations.