[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club November Activities

Larry Bausher lpbausher at comcast.net
Wed Oct 26 10:46:21 EDT 2011

The following list covers the New Haven Bird Club's schedule of
activities for November:

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, November 10 , 7:30 PM. Jerry Connolly.  Namibia and
Botswana: A Spectacular Birding Safari.  Refreshments and social half-
hour at 7:00 p.m.  The Jones Auditorium of the Connecticut
Agricultural Experiment Station, 123 Huntington St., New Haven, CT.
Free and open to the public. Notice:  Birder Tag Sale at the meeting.
Namibia, the dry southwestern corner of Africa, plays host to all
three of southern Africa’s great desert systems: the Karoo in the
south, the Kalahari  in the  east, and  the driest  of  the  three, the
Namib, sprawling along the west coast.  So it’s not surprising that
Namibia has, arguably, the world’s best desert birding. When you add
the teak woodlands and riparian habitats of the Caprivi Strip and the
waterways of Botswana’s Okavango Delta, the world’s largest oasis,
you do indeed have the makings of a fabulously birdy trip. And
Jerry’s safari took in more than abundant and diverse avifauna. There
were also breathtaking “up close and personal” views of many of
Africa’s most spectacular mammals—lions, elephants, giraffes, and
rhinoceros, among others. In short, this safari had it all, and with
his gorgeous photos, tonight Jerry will take us on an awesome trip.
Jerry has been organizing trips to Latin America and Africa since
1996. He and his wife Janet opened The Audubon Shop of Madison in
1986.  For more information call 203-230-1697 or visit

Field Trips:

NHBC 19th Annual Winter Feeder Survey.  November 1, 2011 through
March 31, 2012
This is a yearly census to determine the number and frequency of
birds visiting feeders in the greater New Haven area.  You are
invited to watch and record the activity at your feeder at least once
a week for the entire time period.  Contact Peter Vitali:
203.288.0621, or vitali_peter_e at sbcglobal.net for more information.

First Wednesday Walk : Silver Sands State Park, Milford.  Wednesday,
November 2, 2011, 8:00 a.m.  Today we’ll be looking for sea ducks and
shorebirds, rare gulls, birds of prey, and uncommon sparrows. Meet at
the main parking area at Silver Sands SP, the first large lot on the
right. We may visit other Milford locations, such as Milford Point,
Mondo Ponds, and Caswell Cove. Leader—Steven Spector. Contact—Tina
Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com

Fargeorge Wildlife Preserve, Quinnipiac River, New Haven, CT.  Sunday
Nov 6, 8:00 a.m. Free and open to the public. This New Haven Land
Trust property is always full of surprises. It is a good place to see
raptors, shorebirds, and waterfowl. Good sightings on past trips
include Bald Eagle and American Woodcock.  Directions: Go South on
Quinnipiac Ave. from Rte. 80 to parking lot adjacent to railroad
underpass.  Leader: Mike Horn: 203-288-1891 or mfhorn at att.net.

Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Delaware and Eastern Neck
Island National Wildlife Refuge, Maryland.  Saturday, Nov 12, at 6:25
a.m.  Birding and Photography - Snow Geese and Tundra Swans. The
highlight of this trip will be on Saturday when we enter the main
gate of Bombay Hook NWR. We will meet at the headquarters building
just past the main gate at 6:25 am SHARP and tour the many ponds,
pools, and fields where we may see and photograph as many as 100,000
Snow Geese and many other fall migrants, from raptors to shorebirds.
We will also visit other birding sites in the area, including Eastern
Neck Island NWR, where we will find Tundra Swans. There are motels in
Dover and B&Bs in the area. The leaders recommend the Best Western in
Smyrna, DE @ 6 miles from Bombay Hook. For details, contact  trip
leaders—Mike & Pat Horn: 203.288.1891, mfhorn at att.net.  Directions:
To get to Bombay Hook NWR from Dover, go north on either US 13 or DE
1 to Rte. 42. Head east on Rte. 42 to Leipsic. From Leipsic go north
on Rte. 9 to Whitehall Neck Rd.  Go east down the road to the refuge
entrance gate.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director