[CT Birds] question about hiatus in feeding birds during winter

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Thu Oct 27 11:57:39 EDT 2011

Hello, Collective Bird Brains (I say that in a nice way)!
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wanted to get a refreshed opinion. A friend is planning to take a vacation for about 4-5 weeks over the winter (January/February, I think). She and her husband are avid bird feeders, and they're wondering if this gap in feeding will negatively impact the birds. Should they not bother to start feeding the birds at all for the season, and just start up when they get back home? Should they start and then taper off the feeding before they leave?
Any advice, insights, etc. would be much appreciated! Thanks!
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester