[CT Birds] Readings 14

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Oct 30 07:21:40 EDT 2011

Readings 14
Ruby-throated Hummingbird

So charming a little creature, devoid of music, needs none of it,
buecause he is a veritable symphony in color, a harmony of metallic
greens and frowns and ruby-red.

The only note which the Hummingbird possesses is a tiny squeak
without definite tone. He utters the sound frequently while he is at
work probing the flowers in the garden, as though he were afraid of
capture. It is plainly a note of caution, meaning possibly, “look out
now; don’t attempt to catch me by the tail while my head is buried in
the morning-glory!” The bird is so remarkably fearless, through, that
I doubt very much whether he utters his note for any other reason
than to “keep himself company.”

Dennis Varza