[CT Birds] New London ferry, Lighthouse Pt

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 19:59:57 EDT 2011

This morning Phil Rusch and I made a last-minute decision to take the
ferry from New London, CT to Orient Point, NY in hopes of running into
a storm-blown pelagic bird. Though the winds were not ideal, our
decision was based largely on yesterday's report from Angus Wilson of
300+ Great Shearwaters seen from nearby Montauk Point. With a pool of
birds out there, we hoped that one would stray into the sound. But as
is typical, the birds were few and far between. We only tallied a
handful of Northern Gannets and just a few scoters and loons. Oh well.

A few hours' hawkwatching at Lighthouse Pt later on was highlighted by
an immature NORTHERN GOSHAWK, a poor photo of which can be seen at the
link below. A apparent hutchinsii CACKLING GOOSE (tiny white-cheeked
goose with paler breast and upperparts) flew by among a flock of
migrating Canadas.

http://www.shorebirder.com/2011/10/northern-goshawk.html

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT