[CT Birds] Halloween at Greenwich Point

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Mon Oct 31 14:59:07 EDT 2011

Haven't been here in a while and had some new birds for the season-  1 GREAT CORMORANT on the point and 4 BUFFLEHEAD in the cove.  For a short lunchtime walk it was pretty birdy, though I did NOT see the Vesper sparrow.  I was, however, buzzed by a HARRIER that might be my first for the park, certainly one of the best views ever!  Elsewhere there were a nice group of CEDAR WAXWINGS and a HERMIT THRUSH.  There were a few HORNED GREBES around, 5 COMMON LOONS, and 2 RED THROATED LOONS, perhaps more way out.  Many FORSTERS TERNS were seen, many perching on the bouys off the beach side, one lingering LAUGHING GULL, a few RED BREASTED MERGANSERS flew by, and a few small groups of BRANT were about, adding up to about 45.  Two OSPREY were still around, and another was seen from the Mianus River bridge.

-Sean Murtha

www.seanmurthaart.com