[CT Birds] 10/31 Hammo

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 00:57:31 EDT 2011

Julian Hough and I birded Hammonasset this morning, spending most of
our time in the under-birded west end of the park. It was quantity
over quality today, but there were still some nice birds to be found.
Sunny skies and calm winds were very welcome, making the cool temps
rather comfortable. Regarding the bright Nelson's Sparrow described
below, Julian and I will likely post our photos and thoughts to our
respective blogs in the near future. Below is a list of highlights:

Hammonasset Beach SP, New Haven, US-CT
Oct 31, 2011
Comments:     most of time with Julian Hough
67 species (+2 other taxa)

Surf Scoter  2
Common Goldeneye  1     FOS; a hen on Swan Pond
Northern Gannet  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Blue-headed Vireo  1     singing
Hermit Thrush  1
Brown Thrasher  1
American Pipit  40
Snow Bunting  7
Palm Warbler (Yellow)  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  130
American Tree Sparrow  1     FOS
Field Sparrow  2
Vesper Sparrow  1     campground
Nelson's Sparrow  2     West end. One of the two seen well and
photographed. A rather bright individual with bright orange,
high-contrast face; apparently clean orangey supercilium; bold flank
streaking on bright background; white back streaking. Further analysis
by photos. Certainly NOT classic subvirgatus. ?likely alterus? Can
nelsoni be ruled out?
White-crowned Sparrow  1     imm
Eastern Meadowlark  1     flying west around 0830

Nick Bonomo
Orange, CT
www.shorebirder.com