[CT Birds] November Birding Classes including an Owl Prowl at Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Wed Nov 2 15:21:50 EDT 2011

Hi All,

Here' is a list of upcoming birding classes at the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point. We have an Owl Prowl tomorrow night.  Please call Louise at 203-878-7440 with questions or to register. We'll see you there!  Frank Gallo

Life is short. Bird often.

Autumn Owl Prowl
Thursday, Nov. 3, 7:15– 9:15p.m.
When the sun retreats, owlsawaken to go in search of prey. Some say that owls are wise, others that theysparked legends of ghosts. Whatever the truth, a night near All Hallows Eve isa fine time to uncover the mysteries of these amazing nocturnal hunters. We’lllearn about a few of the species that co-exist in our area, and then carpool toa local park to try to call one in. It’s a hoot! Fee: $35/person. Call Louiseat 203-878-7440 x 502 to register.
Birding 101
Thursdays, November 10 and17,  7 – 9 p.m. (2 nights in classroom)
 Saturday, November 19,9 a.m. – noon (field trip)
Discover bird watching withnaturalist Frank Gallo. Frank leads bird tours worldwide and is a member of Connecticut’s Avian RareRecords Committee and a past president of the New Haven Bird Club. His enthusiastichands-on style quickly teaches you the basics of identifying birds using fieldguides and observational skills. The course culminates with a field trip tofind birds at a local birding hot spot. Bring the Peterson Field Guide toEastern Birds. (Field guides also for sale in class.)  Meet at the Connecticut AudubonCoastal Center at Milford Point. Fee: $105
Birding Basics (New!)
Tuesday, November 15, 6:30–9p.m.  (classroom)
If you are interested inbirds but don’t know where to begin, this introductory course is for you. Learnthe basics of bird identification, how to choose and use binoculars and fieldguides, and where to find birds in our area, during this fun hands-on coursewith expert birder Frank Gallo. No experience is necessary. Bring the PetersonField Guide to Eastern Birds. Sibley’s Birding Basics is highly recommended.(Guides are available for sale at the Coastal Center.)Meet at the ConnecticutAudubon Coastal Center at Milford Point