[CT Birds] FW: eBird Report - Milford Pt., Nov 2, 2011

Dave Rosgen dave at whitememorialcc.org
Fri Nov 4 15:21:06 EDT 2011

>From Dave Rosgen:
Milford Pt. Sanctuary, Gravel Bars, and Wheeler WMA
Nov 2, 2011;  1:45 PM - 6:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling; 1.75 miles
48 species

Brant  180
Mute Swan  7
American Black Duck  105
Mallard  10
Red-throated Loon  5
Common Loon  3
Double-crested Cormorant  60
Great Cormorant  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Merlin  1
American Coot  2
Black-bellied Plover  200
American Oystercatcher  2
Greater Yellowlegs  31
Lesser Yellowlegs  2     These birds were with some of the Greater Yellowlegs feeding in the marsh. They were clearly distinguishable by their smaller size, needle-like straight bills only slightly longer than their heads, and their double note "tu-tu" calls. I viewed them my spotting scope and binoculars at a distance of about 300' in excellent light.
Red Knot  7     I went over the large mass of shorebirds roosting on the gravel bars many times with my spotting scope and 3 of those times my count of knots was 7.
Sanderling  400
Dunlin  410
Laughing Gull  2
Ring-billed Gull  230
Herring Gull  190
Lesser Black-backed Gull  1
Great Black-backed Gull  26
Royal Tern  1     This bird was seen very well at a distance of about 300' with a 20-60X spotting scope in excellent light on and off for about an hour as it roosted on a gravel bar. It was clearly a Royal Tern based upon its orangy-yellow bill, gray fuzzy back of head, white forehead, black primary wing feathers, and size slightly bigger than the Ring-billed Gulls around it.
Rock Pigeon  2
Mourning Dove  7
Monk Parakeet  1
Belted Kingfisher  3
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  7
American Crow  2
Black-capped Chickadee  1
Tufted Titmouse  1
Carolina Wren  1
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  8
Northern Mockingbird  4
European Starling  300
Yellow-rumped Warbler  28
Nelson's Sparrow  1
Saltmarsh Sparrow  2
Song Sparrow  21
Swamp Sparrow  10
White-throated Sparrow  37
Dark-eyed Junco  2
Northern Cardinal  10
House Finch  32
House Sparrow  65
Dave Rosgen,
Winchester & Litchfield (neither of which has electrical power).