[CT Birds] Boothe Park 11/4, 11K non-raptors & photo quiz answer

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Fri Nov 4 18:29:15 EDT 2011

First, if you looked at the 'name this migrant' photo here: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/2011/11/name-this-migrant.html
...the answer is here: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/2011/11/name-this-migrant-answer.html

As you can read below, the story of the day was *not* raptors for us after a few hours in a difficult flow.

Boothe Memorial Park
Stratford, Connecticut, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 04, 2011
Turkey Vulture  11
Bald Eagle  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  16
Cooper's Hawk  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  26
Unknown Accipiter  1
Total:  60

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end   time: 12:00:00
Total observation time: 3.5 hours

Official Counter:        Scott Kruitbosch

Observers:        Bill Banks, Charlie Barnard, Frank Mantlik

Tom Murray

A cold front passing through overnight went by so late that our area was
still influenced by it this morning, starting off with 100% thick cloud
cover and keeping a split flow over us. Surface winds built from the NW but
veered frequently from W to E. Lower level flow was NW, but upper levels
moved from the SW and were impacted by the departing low. The high did not
move in fast enough for us. Temperatures went from the mid 40s to low 50s
as the sky cleared substantially before the count ended at noon.

Raptor Observations:
Between the relatively slow movement of raptors, the clearing sky, and
increasing winds, we thought any further movement would be spotty at best
and difficult for our site in particular. We do not do well unless the
strong (15 MPH+) winds are focused from W to N and flow is consistent. What
did go through was largely scattered, and the highest number were those
best equipped to handle the tough winds (RTHA).

Non-raptor Observations:
Southbound migrants included:
Canada Goose  20
NORTHERN PINTAIL  21 - a new species for our growing list, Frank called
these that we all watched heading south overhead together in two groups of
9 and 12.
Fish Crow  20
Tree Swallow  1
Eastern Bluebird  7