[CT Birds] Vesper Sparrows

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Fri Nov 4 22:50:54 EDT 2011

Hi Folks

There were several comments about the number of Vesper Sparrows seen
at one time. I knew of a large flock seen in Greenwich. Instead of
just giving the record, I thought it was an opportunity to test the
archives. Vesper Sparrows are rare enough that they are regularly
reported, but common enough to provide plenty of records. I currently
have over 85,000 records in the archives. adding personal records and
other miscellaneous records I figure I have over 90,000 records at
hand. in those records there were 337 reports of Vesper Sparrows. or
0.37% of the records

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

There are a number of reports of nesting

1881 nesting in Portland
1894 nesting in Bridgeport area
1906 nesting in New Haven
1954 nesting in Glastonbury
1955 nesting in Glastonbury
1982 nesting at Bradley Airport, Windsor Locks
1983 Male on territory in Redding

Peak Spring Migration
April 1 to 10 17 records 5.9%
April 11 to 20 26 records 7.7%
April 21 to 30 22 records 6.5%

Peak Autumn Migration
October 1 to 10  18 records 5.3%
October 11 to 20 55 records 16.3%
October 21 to 31 45 records 13.4%

Winter Abundance
December, 29 records mostly Christmas Bird Counts
January, 13 records mostly Christmas Bird Counts
February, 9 records

Number of birds per record.

1959	11/1 to 30	 35 in a plowed field in Greenwich
1954	Summer, 12 Pair nesting in Glastonbury
1936	18 wintering in Fairfield
1985	10/8 15 	Bethany
1992	10/18 15 	Southbury

#birds in observation
10 to 13	6 Records
9 birds	3 Records
8 birds	1 Record
6 birds	7 Records
5 birds	5 Records
4 birds	6 Records
3 birds	33 Records
2 birds	37 Records
1 bird   	242 Records

I then grouped the records into 10 year cluster and looked at number
of observers vs number of records. The results were linear indication
no population fluctuations in the past 100 years.

What do you call a sparrow that rides a motor scooter?
A Vespa Sparrow