[CT Birds] Konold's Pond, Woodbridge American Coots

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Sat Nov 5 15:50:25 EDT 2011

 From Steve Broker (Cheshire) and Nancy Clark (Woodbridge):
11/05/11 - Woodbridge, Konold's Pond as seen from the West Rock ridge
top (11:00 A.M. - 12:30 P.M.) -- 80 AMERICAN COOTS (conservative
count) on the west edge of Konold's Pond opposite the island.  Most
of the coots were collected just south of the island (our field of
view), with some coots visible on the pond edge just north of the
island. Additional birds likely were obscured from our view.   At
11:30 A.M., we observed a fully adult Bald Eagle fly from the island
to a perch above the coots.  An Osprey also flew in to the tree-lined
pond edge and perched 20-30 feet away.  With occasional movements of
the eagle, the coots would scoot explosively under overhanging
vegetation along the edge, then gradually return to open water feeding.