[CT Birds] Eating mushrooms

Lynn Jones lynnjones11 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 20:56:54 EST 2011


Not only can mushrooms that other animals eat be poisonous but you very
like wouldn't want to eat them.  I've seen squirrels eat members of the
genus Russula which can be extremely hot (peppery) flavored.  Bill Yule or
Frank Gallo can chip in with some more knowledge I'm sure.

Connie, as Eileen mentioned, is still an active member of CVMS, Ed the
founder unfortunately passed away a few years ago.  For current information
on joining the club or attending a foray here is the contact info for the
membership chair.  (See info below).  I'd also be willing to tackle some
questions off list as well.
*

Membership: Woozie Wikfors 104 Seymour Road, Woodbridge, CT 06525
**
*
-Lynn Jones, past newsletter editor, CVMS


On Nov 6, 2011 8:16 PM, "Becker-Dunn Eileen" <eileenbd at me.com> wrote:

> Arthur,
>
> NO, you definitely cannot eat mushrooms if you see an animal eating it.
> There are many mushroom species that animals and amphibians (turtles) can
> eat that will poison humans. It has to do with how the toxins are
> metabolized by different species. If you are interested in learning about
> what species of mushroom are edible you can contact the CT Mycological
> Society, Ed Bosman in Cheshire or Connie Borodenko in Hartford.
>
> All the best, Eileen Becker-Dunn, Past President, CT Mycological Society.
>
> _______________________________________________
> This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA)
> for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.
> For subscription information visit
> http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org
>



More information about the CTBirds mailing list