[CT Birds] Greenwich Point birds

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Tue Nov 8 20:21:04 EST 2011

I heard that the pelican showed up at 4:30... and I left at 4:15!  Argh!  Still, it was a beautiful day at the beach, the most notable birds I DID see being  one late SNOWY EGRET chasing one of the couple of GREAT EGRETS still hanging around, 2 OSPREY (very vocal)  about 45 BUFFLEHEAD in one group in the cove along with 2 HORNED GREBES,  a dozen BLACK BELLIED PLOVERS and more RUDDY TURNSTONES than I could count on sand island.  I had one lone FORSTERS TERN off the point but the sound was loaded with loons, both COMMON LOONS and RED NECKED LOONS as well as DOUBLE CRESTED CORMORANTS.  A GREAT BLUE HERON was in Eagle pond and numerous BLACK DUCKS there and everywhere else as well.  Again, there were a couple of Harbor Seals hauled out off Island Beach.
-Sean Murtha