[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Park - October Summary

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 8 21:02:49 EST 2011

Here's where we are at Lighthouse:
I also thought I'd take advantage of this boring lull, ie this horrific high pressure, and make a few comments regarding October at Lighthouse (HawkCount makes analysis so easy, doesn't it?).
All the following comments refer to the MONTH OF OCTOBER ONLY.  We had good/normal/average coverage (220 hours) and our total (6766) was well within previous 5- and 10-year averages and standard deviations.  Our LPP record TV total is due largely to 10/28 (371).  That 1-day total beats most October (ie, entire month) totals.  I recall that Boothe Memorial did even better that day.
Harriers are down - lowest since 2004.  But you have to back 20 years to get an equally impressive Coop (1094) total.  Kestrels (939) is essentially identical to the past 3 years.  Merlin (140) were way down.  We haven't had such a low month since 2002 (135).  Peregrines (108) is a new record.
Cheer-up all; we'll get some rain, some nasty weather, and maybe then some strong N winds, and the 'Shoulders and 'Tails (and of course, Cave Swallows) will be swirling...
Steve Mayo