[CT Birds] HAS Wildlife Series Nov. 15- The Art of Bobolinking, Rosalind Renfrew

Sara Zagorski penguinsz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 10 15:11:16 EST 2011

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2011
Wildlife Series,        7:30 PM
McAuley Residence Auditorium
275 Steele Road
West Hartford, CT         06117

The Art of Bobolinking - Rosalind Renfrew, PhD is a conservation biologist at
the        Vermont Center for Ecostudies (VCE). She joined VCE in 2002 to direct
the        Vermont Breeding Bird Atlas and initiate research on the wintering
ecology        of Bobolinks. The effervescent song of the Bobolink fills our
hayfields        during the summer, but where are they the rest of the year, and
why should        we care? Early in her Bobolink research Rosalind would travel
to the        Bobolinks’ wintering grounds in South America. With advancements
in        technology, she now is able to follow the birds by tagging them with
geolocators when they are on their breeding grounds in Vermont.
Long-distance migrants like the Bobolink provide opportunities to connect
cultures, economies, and perceptions; a critical component to tackling
environmental challenges that threaten birds and humans alike.

Single Admission:  Adult = $4.00, Student = $2.00

Sara Zagorski
Wethersfield