[CT Birds] Mother of all Grackle Flocks - circa 45K - Quaker Ridge

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Thu Nov 10 16:58:34 EST 2011

Hi All,

Raptor numbers having been awfully low all week with under 20 birds so far since Monday. Staying late to chat to a visitor today though I witnessed an incredible sight, a simply enormous grackle flock that I tried as best I could to count.

I picked up the flock as it was heading west over the parking lot and realized it was going to be big when I scanned back and saw it was disappearing over the ridge to our east. Hard to count a flock this size but I tried to keep the count in hundreds and got to 44,300. I wouldn't be surprised if it was significantly larger as some of it was disappearing behind the trees towards the end. The stream continued for a few minutes as the birds streamed past in a fairly dense but narrow stream. It felt like something akin to the historical description of Passenger Pigeon flights.

I am wondering what the chances are I just missed Brewers Blackbird, Connecticut's first Great-tailed Grackle or something more prosaic like a Yellow-headed. Anyway amazing stuff. Hopefully the winds tomorrow will bring something interesting raptor wise.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich