[CT Birds] Greenwich Pelican at last!

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Thu Nov 10 17:47:07 EST 2011

Though the fog was as thick as pea soup for most of the day, I nevertheless took a walk around Greenwich Point between 2 and 3 pm.  There were occasional breaks in the fog, and during one, when Greenwich Island began to become visible, I scanned it with my binoculars and picked up a bird flying past it- it was the BROWN PELICAN!  It continued west over the cove and I followed it until it disappeared into the sun and fog.  It was about the worst look at a Pelican one could imagine but it was my first for CT, so I'll take it!

Earlier in the AM there was little fog and I picked out my FOS LONG-TAILED DUCKS at the entrance to the cove, and had good looks at 2 FORSTERS TERNS flying over the causeway.

-Sean Murtha

www.seanmurthaart.com