[CT Birds] Stratford sightings 11/11/11

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 11 18:18:35 EST 2011

11/11/11 Stratford - I managed to do some local birding today, tallying 61
species with these highlights:

Frash Pond - 5 Canvasback (first of season- FOS), 3 Bufflehead, adult Cooper's

Short Beach Park - 1 Black-crowned Night Heron imm., 38 Black-bellied Plovers,
500 Sanderlings, 80 Dunlin, 2-3 White-crowned Sparrows (all imm., one behind the
tennis courts and 1-2 in the dune brush), 7 Snow Buntings (flying north over
river), 250 Mourning Doves feeding in the brushy dunes. I tried to look through
them for something rare.

Lordship Seawall - a few Common and Red-throated Loons, 1 BLACK SCOTER (male
flying west), 1 Tern species (probably Forster's).

Stratford Point - 1 NORTHERN GANNET (flying around east of the breakwater), 4
White-winged Scoter, 2 Laughing Gulls.

Greenway (Beacon Point Rd.) - RC Kinglet, 26 Snow Buntings feeding near new
Animal Shelter.

McKinney Refuge and Warehouse Pond - 7 Am. Wigeon (FOS), 13 Hooded Merganser, 1
Pied-billed Grebe, 4 Great Egrets, 15 Black-crowned Night Herons (roosting along
RR Trail), 2 Hermit Thrush, 1 GC Kinglet,  Am. Tree Sparrow (FOS).

Frank Mantlik