[CT Birds] Boothe Park 11/11

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Sat Nov 12 11:02:43 EST 2011

My lack of posting this yesterday indicates how it went. The fears I mentioned Thursday night all turned out even worse than expected. Backed up or not, it was just a poor day to fly. Movements are triggered by a lot more than a cold front, and the awful setup we had showed that well yesterday. Luke's right in convincing oneself - you see a cold front, after a slow week, and you can't help but think it'll be decent at least. I'm enjoying learning about the exact conditions that go into the best days, even if it is frustrating sometimes. A high to our south with a shortwave moving towards us with that tight of a gradient is never going to go well. Even that trough was slow making for a tough sky until the afternoon. Not our day. The middle of next week might work out...

Boothe Memorial Park
Stratford, Connecticut, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 11, 2011
Turkey Vulture  6
Bald Eagle  2
Northern Harrier  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  10
Unknown Buteo  1
Total:  21

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter:        Charlie Barnard, Scott Kruitbosch

Observers:        Charlie Barnard, Frank Mantlik

Visitors:
Tom Murray, Tim Antanaitis.

Weather:
A cold front slowly worked its way through overnight leading to an
unfortunate and convoluted setup for the day, with a high well to the south
and an upper level trough slowly moving through PA towards us. The
increasing pressure gradient brought gusty winds, but these went from NW to
SW, despite a decent upper level flow initially at least. Clouds did not
come in until the afternoon hours really as the trough was slow in arriving
and weaker, too. All in all, a disappointing day after a bad week, with
temperatures staying in the 40s in relatively moist air.

Raptor Observations:
Raptors were very slow because of the gusty winds veering wildly from all
directions, and even the 2 Bald Eagles that went by were low and being
pushed around.

Non-raptor Observations:
Southbound migrants included:
Common Loon  1
Eastern Bluebird  4
American Robin  121
Cedar Waxwing  98
Red-winged Blackbird  104
Common Grackle  143
Brown-headed Cowbird  73
PURPLE FINCH  3

Migrants in the park included:
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER  1
Eastern Bluebird  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  2
White-throated Sparrow  2
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  6

Notable birds included:
Probable BONAPARTE'S GULL  1 - unless it was Black-headed or Little albeit
unlikely (very distant!)
PEREGRINE FALCON  1
COMMON RAVEN  2

========