[CT Birds] Pelican(s)

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sat Nov 12 17:21:11 EST 2011

Although this doesn't help one opinion or the other, my neighbor down the street did see the Brown Pelican flying by Penfield Reef in Fairfield the other week at 7:30 a.m. and the bird was seen at Lighthouse Point Park at 10:30a.m. that same morning. She did not mention what direction the Pelican was flying. The other two times the pelican has shown up here it was just flying by, although the time I saw it wasn't flying really east or west, but just kind of out over the sound. My personal opinion based on these observations is that there may only be one bird flying between Greenwich and New Haven, with Fairfield being a fly-by point. However, like others have said, I'm not sure why one bird would fly so far up and down the coast again and again.

James Purcell
Fairfield