[CT Birds] Western Kingbird

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Sat Nov 12 22:10:25 EST 2011

Beyond what Nick said and as Greg indicated it sounds like the possible Western Kingbird is directly on the CAS H. Smith Richardson Wildlife Preserve and Christmas Tree Farm. Specifically it seems like this is the area you see in the satellite photo Nick linked to on the west side of the road, the field and grasslands across the street from the tree farm. This is where we have nest boxes used mostly by Tree Swallows and House Wrens.

Directions to our sanctuary:
FROM I-95 Eastbound: Take Exit 19 – Southport. Go left off exit and proceed to traffic light at Rt. 1. Turn left onto Rt. 1 (Post Rd.) and go to second traffic light. Take a left and follow from * below.

FROM I-95 Westbound: Take Exit 19 – Southport. Stay straight off exit to traffic light at Route 1 – Post Road intersection. Take a right onto Rt. 1 and at third traffic light, take a left. Follow directions from * below.

* At fork, take right and proceed straight on Green Farms Rd. Take a left onto Sasco Creek Rd. Preserve and Tree Farm are 0.1 mile on left.

More information on our sanctuary here: http://www.ctaudubon.org/sanctuaries/smith-richardson/

If you re-find the bird, please post it or call someone ASAP, thanks in advance! Fingers crossed for it being present and the first of the flurry CT is due for.

Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr St.