[CT Birds] Pelican(s)

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Sun Nov 13 06:39:53 EST 2011

I'll add my 2 cents worth:The first-year pelican was in the Old Greenwich/Riverside area
for just over 2 weeks.  Then there was a weekend of strongwesterly winds, and Pelican was no longer seen in the area, but onewas seen and stayed in the New Haven harbor area for about2 weeks.  During that time when it was in New Haven, therewere no sightings in OG/Riv/Greenwich.  Then a pelican showedup again over a week ago at the Mianus River in Riverside, andso far as I know, is still in the area.  During this latest appearance,there have been no reports of sightings elsewhere in CT.This leads me to believe it's the one same Brown Pelican thatfirst arrived in Stratford after Irene.  But then, who knows? For Roy's report, the latest on the pelican:From Meredith Sampson:11/12/11 - Old Greenwich, Greenwich Point -- BROWN PELICAN observed by dockmaster          who called me and said with the strong NW winds, the pelican pretty much stayed          on the shoreline near the OG yacht club most of the day.  He said it appeared to be          shivering/shaking.  I hope this bird leaves soon and heads south where the rest of          his friends are - basking in warmer climes.