[CT Birds] Canton Marsh Wren

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 15 18:35:08 EST 2011

This afternoon I found a Marsh Wren in the only freshwater area in Canton.  The fall migration window for this species is not that well understood, as far as I know, but this is the third time in my birding career that I have found a Marsh Wren away from a known breeding area during fall migration.  Each has occurred within a week or so of the current date.  All of them were in wet areas with very few trees and a fairly wide expanse of weedy vegetation, in the sorts of places where one might look for American Tree Sparrows.  One was along a powerline cut in Somers, one in the large wetland along Iron Horse Blvd in Simsbury and now this location.  As far as I know, this is the third Canton record, the other two also being from the same location (Meadow Road) in spring.  Those birds were singing males which remained for a couple of days but never stuck around to breed.  The closest breeding locality I'm aware of is Station 43 in South Windsor, about 20 miles away.

Kind of cool.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT