[CT Birds] Probable Dark Morph Broad-winged Hawk

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 08:45:05 EST 2011

Hey Luke & others,

"I don't think the ARCC ever look at morphs or subspecies which I kind
of think is a shame in some scenarios..."

For the record, the ARCC welcomes written and photographic
documentation of any rare subspecies or morph. Though I am not sure of
our exact bylaws regarding these things off the top of my head, it is
*not* true that we do not ever review them. Recently reviewed records
of "Black" Brant serve as an example. It's actually incredibly rare
that we ever receive any reports of rare subspecies or morphs of
otherwise common species. This may be due to either lack of observer
interest or unawareness that we do review such things...or both. I,
for one, highly encourage the review of rare subspecies/morphs, and
I'm sure that most ARCC members feel the same way. Perhaps this is
something the committee can more officially and publicly address in
the near future.

Thanks for bringing it up Luke.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT