[CT Birds] Fw: eBird Report - Cove Place/ Russian Beach (seawatch), Nov 21, 2011

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 21 21:14:49 EST 2011

After reading about the 3000+ red-throated loon days they'd been having lately
at the Avalon, NJ Seawatch, I decided to do a Soundwatch today 11/21 from
Russian Beach (Park Blvd/Cove Place) in Stratford.  In a little over 2 hours I
had over 100 red-throated loons migrate by.  They tend to move earlier in the
day, so I probably missed a lot due to my fairly late start.  They were mostly
ones and twos, with the largest flock being of 14, and two flocks of 11.

After a lunch break, I saw 3 GREAT EGRETS in the Great Meadows salt marsh from
Long Beach, where I scanned the skies for 2-plus hours from a dune top in a vane
search for the New Haven White Pelican.  If it came by, I missed it.  There was
a lot of sky to scan for one person.  Thanks, Sara, for the call.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford, CT