[CT Birds] Fairfield - pos. No Shrike, Winter Wren +

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Thu Nov 24 13:59:48 EST 2011

Following my Thanksgiving tradition of choosing a spot and birding it as thoroughly as possible before dinner, I headed to Pine Creek early this morning. I ended up covering the ENTIRE Pine Creek area including the landfill area, Oldfield Marsh area, the Pine Creek Recreation area, the Old Dam Road Marsh Open Space, the brush all along Old Dam Road and the Pine Creek Meadows Open Space.

In a rush so I'm copying and pasting from what I reported to eBird.

Highlights included:

1 Northern Harrier
1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker -- in the pines at the end of Veres Street
1 pos. Northern Shrike -- Heard only. Near the feeding station on Old Dam Road. I've heard Northern Shrike sing three times: once in New York, twice in Ontario. This song was very much like the jumbled, random notes of a shrike, but with a little more of a whistled component to them. Interestingly enough, the entire feeding station on Old Dam Road (usually mobbed) was ominously quiet while this bird was in song, with the House Sparrows seemingly very jumpy in the surrounding hedges. The only thing that holds me back from saying it was definitely a Northern Shrike is the fact that I never actually saw the bird. Usually pretty easy to spot, this bird could've easily been in one of the many birches in the Old Dam Rd OS.
2 Winter Wren -- One by the pond and one by the old railroad bridge, foraging in cover.
1 Hermit Thrush -- Pine Creek Meadow OS
1 Palm Warbler (palmarum) -- *lingering bird. Seen well with Song, White-throated and Fox Sparrows and Ruby-crowned Kinglets in the area behind the ballfield that is usually very good for migrants earlier in the season.
3 Fox Sparrows -- One bird by pond, one near landfill and one in the area behind the ballfields. Ties my high count for Pine Creek.

Here is a link to the full report (incl. photos of the Palm Warbler):

Alex Burdo
Fairfield